Monday, July 5, 2010

Brewed Boredom

When boredom brews in the cask of your mind, you reach a higher state of existence, a state where you exist half and half you don't, where you are, but you still are not, and thus are one with the world at large.

My nirvana occurred, when I watched the supposedly comic movie 'De Dana Dana' in a cinema hall. The experience was divine, not because the movie was delightful. But, it was so mind numbingly boring, that I ended up as a grinning fool for the rest of the day. 

On that fateful day, I took my father to watch the movie, after some critic on some channel said and I quote "The movie will make you laugh all the way through".

We sat there watching. Fifteen minutes  into the movie, trying hard not to lose interest. Thirty minutes into the movie, I was frowning at the screen.One hour into the movie, I was trying hard not to pull out my beautiful, long  mane grown with utmost care. And finally arrived the much awaited interval.

 I was happy to just get out of the cinema hall. We somehow unfortunately decided against going back home; probably because our reasoning abilities had gone to a mighty toss by then. I bought a couple of  packets of chips and some drinks, with the forethought that at least they would keep me entertained for the next half of the movie. But I couldn't help but munch them off  wildly, due to the extreme restlesness arising out  of the ennui. And thus I sat there, bereft of  all my sources of joy, within 15 minutes of the interval. Now left with nothing to do, I sat there dreading every moment that passed by me so very slowly, like a snail with its bum going 'Waka waka' to Shakira's song.      

And then came that magical moment, when the boredom had brewed enough. It kicked the butt of my brain, making it so light headed, that I was grinning like an idiot for no reason at all. I laughed at the silly jokes of the movie; at the man beside me, who had been laughing out loud all through, almost snorting and guffawing. I was just amused to see this grown up man, laughing his butt off, and falling off his seat during the process, at the apparent jokes of the movie. My facial muscles started to hurt  from all the grinning that lasted for the rest of the day. I had turned into a grinning,enlightened fool!

Recipe for joy, brew that boredom. If you don't have the patience for the elaborate process of brewing ennui, just go grab that mug of  already brewed beer!


5 comments:

Dr.D.T.Krishna Murthy. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr.D.T.Krishna Murthy. said...

Hey pallavi, nice write up.The movie was unbearably horrific except for peels and roars of rib tickling laughter on either side of our seats which was more fun to watch than the actual movie!Any way,the prediction was right!The movie made us laugh all the way.

V.R.BHAT said...

I opine like what DTK says, thanks

shridhar said...

Nice Write up ..

I rarely watch any movies in theater .. whats more funnier is the people around you and their action ..

Ha ha ha Good Experience .

prabhamani nagaraja said...

A nice sharing. please visit my blog.